Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Garden Cookbook™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   I Need To Eat Healthy ! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38797)

Deborah November 22, 2015 07:43 PM

Does anyone do the lemon juice in warm water thing?

Aerial November 22, 2015 08:46 PM

YES! Lemon + water is the best! :yes:

[I]Quoted from foodmatters.tv -[/I]

--1. Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
--2. Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial.
--3. It balances maintain the pH levels in the body.
--4. Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins.
--5. It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile.
--6. It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.
--7. It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases.
--8. It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid.
--9. It helps cure the common cold.
--10. The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells.
--11. It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
--12. It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief.
--13. It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne.
--14. It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems.
--15. Aids in the production of digestive juices.
--16. Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session.

[url]http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/cheers-to-drinking-warm-lemon-water[/url]

[QUOTE=Deborah;515019]Does anyone do the lemon juice in warm water thing?[/QUOTE]

Cole_Robbie November 22, 2015 09:48 PM

That reminds me of apple cider vinegar.

clkeiper November 22, 2015 10:06 PM

Deborah, do you like peppers? sweet ones? if you like to snack on them try the bags of little peppers that are at aldi's save a lot, walmart.. etc. They are sweet and crunchy. If you want seeds for the orange Yummi variety PM me and I will send you some fresh seeds to get started. they are fabulous little peppers... not called yummi for nothing. They are my favorite pepper in the garden. I am always sad when there are none left.

Aerial November 22, 2015 10:14 PM

YES! Apple Cider Vinegar is the best! :yes:

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;515043]That reminds me of apple cider vinegar.[/QUOTE]

Deborah November 23, 2015 05:39 PM

Aerial, I first saw this lemon water thing at DietofLife.com. Sounds interesting. Carolyn, thanks but the only way I like peppers is a green one on pizza or a red one sauteed and poured over a chicken breast or a baked potato.

Aerial November 23, 2015 05:50 PM

Maybe an old wives' tale, some posters stated lemon + warm water first thing in the morning helped break up and eliminate their kidney stones and pain.

I love lemon in water, it makes plain water palatable. Do watch out for citric acid that might cause enamel erosion, a reusable straw helps. Pretty good advice in the following article.

[url]http://wellbodymindheartspirit.com/2014/01/04/how-to-drink-water-with-lemon-for-your-health-and-preserve-your-tooth-enamel/[/url]

Apple Cider Vinegar + honey + water is greatly beneficial if you're interested to try.

Deborah November 23, 2015 08:46 PM

Good article.

Aerial November 24, 2015 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deborah, have you been eating better than your rabbits? :lol:

(Oops, I reread your 1st post, you stated that you don't consume whole grains and nuts. Hmm.. sorry if this is no use for you.) Feel better! :cute:

Here's another trending no-cook breakfast idea. We go through 2 112-oz bags of Organic Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Quick Oats from Costco every month. Best taste + value hands down.

[B]Overnight Oatmeal[/B]

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut or old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups milk, or unsweetened coconut / almond milk

Toppings: (any combinations of)
sliced bananas, peaches, apricots, raisins, cranberries, frozen berries,
chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds, coco nibs, almond butter, etc

1. Fill 1/3 of a mason / glass jar with raw oats, add milk.

2. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. The oats soak up the milk and become a creamy, hearty, delicious mass.

3. To serve, scoop oatmeal into a bowl and top with fruits and nuts. Add more milk if desired.
[ATTACH]54641[/ATTACH]

Deborah November 24, 2015 02:07 PM

Oh wow that looks good-I LOVE oatmeal ! Nuts are OK if I have just a few, and by whole grains I meant the whole grain breads-for some reason those are a real uh oh... I used to like Ezekiel bread but after awhile it seemed so cardboardy.

Labradors2 November 24, 2015 04:16 PM

I make the overnight oatmeal in the summer time using kefir instead of milk. It's delish with apple sauce!

In the winter, I soak the oats in water overnight, along with some dehydrated fruits or canned apples/plums from our garden. We then cook them on a low heat for however long it takes.

Linda

Deborah November 25, 2015 09:14 PM

Love applesauce !

Deborah December 6, 2015 08:52 PM

Today I bought cream of wheat, an old favorite. I haven't had it in years.

ddsack December 6, 2015 11:05 PM

I remember my mom making me cream of wheat when I wasn't feeling well. She would leave swirls of butter and brown sugar in it.

coronabarb December 7, 2015 04:59 PM

I love Cream of Wheat! I swirl some apple butter in it...yum!